The TOEFL exam or ETS TOEFL exam is a standard and globally accepted English language test that assesses a candidate’s ability to read, speak, listen, and write in English. It plays a crucial role in the undergraduate and postgraduate education process overseas. The TOEFL exam began in 1964 and is accepted by thousands of organizations across the globe.
DETAILS OF TOEFL EXAM
The TOEFL exam falls under two different categories. They are:
- ETS TOEFL-iBT Test: It is the most widely accepted/preferred TOEFL exam. This test is taken through the internet and it comprises four sections namely, reading, speaking, listening, and writing. Candidates take the test on a computer that has a microphone attached to it.
- ETS-TOEFL-PBT test: The TOEFL PBT is a paper-based English language test. However, this method of examination is not available in Nepal.
WHAT IS THE ETS TOEFL login?
To give the TOEFL exam, one must register for the exam. To do so, you need to visit the ETS TOEFL login page. Through this page, the candidate can perform the following activities:
- Book an examination date
- Cancel the examination
- View the registration
- Update your personal information
HOW CAN I REGISTER FOR THE TOEFL EXAM?
A candidate can register for the TOEFL exam in the following manner:
- Create an account on the official ETS website
- Be sure that you enter the correct identification documents
- Once you submit the necessary information and create a profile, you will receive a confirmation email
- Log in with the necessary credentials and click on the ‘Register for a test’
- Pick the test date and center
- Finish the TOEFL registration process
TOEFL EXAM FEE IN NEPAL
Here are the details in relation to the TOEFL examination fee
|ETS TOEFL EXAM FEE in Nepal||Value|
|Registration||Fees vary as per test location|
|Reinstatement of cancelled scores||US$20|
|Additional score reports (per institution or agency)||US$20 each|
|Speaking or Writing Section score review||US$80|
|Speaking and Writing Section score review||US$160|
If the candidate cancels the exam before the four-day deadline, then he will receive a refund amounting to 50% of the original test fee. There are no refunds for other services.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR TOELF EXAM
- There are no specific criteria as to the age and qualifications that one must possess in order to take the TOEFL exam. However, it is mandatory that you possess a valid passport if you want to take the exam.
- There are no such limitations as to the number of times a candidate can retake the test. Bear in mind that there has to be time lag of 3 days between two tests.
- The candidate needs to have a hardcopy of the confirmation email along with a valid registration number from the ETS.
TOEFL EXAM SYLLABUS
Here is a brief description about the exam content.
|Type||No. of Questions||TOEFL Exam Duration|
|TOEFL Reading Section||30-40||54-74 minutes|
|TOEFL Listening Section||28-38||41-57 minutes|
|TOEFL Speaking Section||4 tasks||17 minutes|
|TOEFL Writing Section||2||50 minutes|
- TOEFL Reading Section:
This section of the TOEFL test checks the candidate’s ability to read passages and answer questions relating to it. The passages relate to academic material and the main objective is to check whether the candidate can comprehend the texts. There are normally 3-4 passages with at least 10 questions for each passage.
- TOEFL Listening Section:
This section of the TOEFL test assesses the candidate’s ability to understand spoken English and answer questions relating to it. The test is done on two stages:
- Checking the basic comprehension skill of the candidate
- Checking the candidate’s ability to summarize information and understanding of the subject matter
- TOEFL Speaking Section
Here, the ability of the candidate to speak about real life situations is tested, A topic is given to the candidate and he must speak about it.
- TOEFL Writing Section
The writing section of the TOEFL exam checks whether the candidate’s writing standard are up to the academic standard or not. The writing section is divided into integrated writing task and independent writing task. This section is considered by many to be the most difficult aspect of TOEFL.
TOEFL SCORE RANGE
The TOEFL score is tested on four categories namely reading, listening, speaking, and writing. The band score for each section ranges from 0 to 30. The combined score for the four sections ranges between 0 and 120.
|Section||TOEFL Score Range||Proficiency Level|
|TOEFL Reading Section||0-30||Poor (0–14)
|TOEFL Listening Section||0-30||Poor (0–14)
|TOEFL Speaking Section||0-30||Poor(0–9)
Below average (10–17)
|TOEFL Writing Section||0-30||Poor – Below average (1–16)
Above average (17–23)
|TOEFL Total Score||120||–|
You can check the results of the test by logging into your TOEFL account. The validity of the TOEFL score is for two years from the actual date of exam.
TOEFL SCORE IN TERMS OF PERCENTILE
|Total TOEFL Score||Percentile|
TOEFL VS IELTS SCORE
TOEFL EXAM PREPARATION
If you want to pass the TOEL exam with flying colors, then it is mandatory that you prepare yourself accordingly. Some common methods to prepare for the TOEFL exam comprises of:
- Enrolling in a coaching institute
- Reading the required course materials
- Watching video lectures relating to TOEFL
If you are looking for a place to take the TOEFL exam, then you can visit Fine Education. The staff here are well-trained and they will help you solve any type of query. For additional information, feel free to contact us.